Historic

New Lease of Life

Destroyed

Risen from the Ashes

Raasay House History

Early 1500’s

A clan house, home to the Macleod Cheif of Raasay, has stood on or near the present site.

1746

The original clan house was burnt to the ground, torched by government troops after Culloden.

1747

Building commenced on the present Raasay House.

1773

Dr Samuel Johnson and James Boswell made their historic journey to the Western Isles and were guests of the Macleod chief at Raasay House.

1843

The last Laird, John Macleod, left the house and emigrated with his family to Australia.

1846

Raasay house was sold to George Rainy from London and changed hands again in 1872-4.

1876

It was sold to Henry Wood who added the ornate Georgian-style wings and frontage to the house.

1911

Wm Baird & Co. Ironmasters bought the estate and operated an iron ore mine.

1923

Board of Agriculture bought estate from Bairds.

1937

Raasay House was run as a sporting hotel, very successfully at first, with many wealthy guests.

1960

The Sporting Hotel closed.

1961

The house was purchased for £6,000 by Dr Green from Sussex.

1979

Highlands and Islands Development Board purchased the building and other properties on island

1981

Major Rod Stewart Liddon set up the Scottish Adventure School Trust, in the derelict house.

1983

The Scottish Adventure School Closed

1984

Roddy MacDonald, Tekela Koek and Lyn Rowe set up Raasay Outdoor Centre Ltd

1987

Roddy MacDonald left the company to take up a post in Edinburgh

1988

Tekela Koek left the company to become a full-time parent

1988

Managing Director Lyn Rowe and the R.O.C. staff team developed the business and the HIDB landlords made emergency repairs and some improvements to the fabric of the building

1994

Lyn Rowe informed HIE the business could not do another season in the house without major refurbishment, but refurbishments were not undertaken.

1997

Freya Rowe and David Croy became directors of the business, joining Lyn Rowe.

2007 December

Raasay House purchased by the Raasay House Community Company

2008

A multi-million-pound project to renovate and refurbish Raasay House commences

2009 January

Devastating fire gutted all but the West Wing of Raasay House. This was only weeks before the projected completion date and R.O.C. taking back possession of the building from ROK the contractor installed for the renovation.

2009 Later

The house had been insured by the community company and ROK began rebuilding Raasay House.

2010 November

ROK went into liquidation.

2011 September

After a lengthy tender process Mansell were appointed as the main contractor.

2013 March 26th

Mansell hand over the Raasay House keys to RHCC and RHCC handed them over to R.O.C.

2013 April 1st

Cafe opens.

2013 April 4th

First overnight guests arrive.

2013 May 4th

‘May The Forth’ one of the first official R.O.C. ‘welcome back’ events  in ‘The House’.

2013 Summer

The summer passes in no time….it’s Busy, Busy, Busy!

2013 September

Official community opening of the Raasay House building by Rt Hon Charles Kennedy MP.

2013 November

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED!

TBC… watch this space!